How Medicare Supplement Plans Work?

Original Medicare whether Part A or Part B, pays for many health-care costs, but do not pay for all health-care costs. This is the reason you need to get Medicare Supplement Plans to cover uncovered health care costs. These Medigap plans will help you pay some of the hospital bills and medical costs such as copayments, coinsurance and yearly deductibles that your Original Medicare does not cover.

Here is an overview of Medigap policies work with other insurance plans-

Medigap policies actually supplement Original Medicare benefits. You need to enroll in Original Medicare to be eligible to get Medigap coverage. Furthermore, you need to stay enrolled in Original Medicare for your hospital and medical coverage.

It is worth saying here that Medicare supplement plans do not provide any kind of stand-alone benefits. It is possible that based on the state you live in, you may not be able to get Medicare Supplement coverage in case you are under 65, and have Medicare because of disability, end stage renal disease or any amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.

In United States, states are not supposed to provide Medigap coverage to beneficiaries under 65. If you are under 65, and have Original Medicare, you should check with state’s insurance department to learn if you are eligible to enroll in a Medicare Supplement Plan.

You should keep in mind that Medigap plans do not include any prescription drug coverage (Part D). So, if you need help with your medication costs, you need to enroll in stand-alone Medicare Prescription Drug plan. Furthermore, you cannot use Medicare Supplement plan to pay health-care costs that you have with a Medicare Advantage plan.

Medigap insurance can only be used to cover costs in Original Medicare. In case you have Original Medicare and a Medicare Supplement plan, then Original Medicare will pay the health-care cost first, and your Medigap Policy will fill in the cost gaps. For instance, you got $3,000 ambulance bill, and you have already got your yearly Medicare Part B deductible. Medicare part B will pay 80% of your ambulance bill. Now, if you have a Medicare Supplement plan that covers Part B copayments and coinsurance costs, then your Medigap policy would pay remaining 20% coinsurance of your $3,000 ambulance bill.

So, it is important to have Medicare Supplement plans along with Original Medicare policies to get a complete.

Get a free online quote at http://www.comparemedicaresupplementplans2018.com/.

Comments are Disabled